About Me

My photo
Brian J. W. Lee is a writer. When he's not writing, he's plotting to plunge the world in a deep chasm of terror, darkness and screams. Sorry, did I get carried away?

Wednesday 17 August 2016

Crossroads

Yesterday, I was sitting on a crossroad of publishing choice. And yes, I have decided to go the self-publishing route.

The two options are:


  • Keep working on my short story collection, wait until it is done, edited and ready for publication before going all out. Publish my novel after my short stories.
  • Halloween is on 31st October, which is about two and a half months away. I publish my novel before that date and work towards a promotion before, during and after Halloween. Publish my short story collection after that to boost sales of the novel, and to get noticed.


I've decided to go with the latter option. Thus, my goals have changed to accommodate this. Here's the game plan:

16 Aug 16 - 15 Sep 16


  • Produce a final draft for publication.


16 Sep 16 - 17 Oct 16


  • Get a professional editor to proofread my work. Make changes according to his recommendations.


18 Oct 16 - 31 Oct 16 (Up to 30 Nov 16)


  • Date of publication on all chosen platforms.

  • Commencement of Halloween promotions.

Goals to be done before 18 Oct 16

  • Finalise all the tiny things: Title is done, but explore possibilities for subtitle, pen name. Final draft of synopsis/blurb, dedication, maybe a foreword and introduction.

  • Commission a cover, and any required artwork.

  • Build up social media infrastructure: Facebook, Twitter, blog, Absolute Write, Goodreads, etc.

  • Finalise publishing platforms: Draft2Digital or something else?

  • Finalise promotional plans, what platforms to use and what strategy...
The next 3 months is going to be hectic, but interesting and exciting! It's hard to imagine that I'm going to join the great conversation! To be an author (if I manage to sell some books)! For too long I've lingered in complete obscurity. The 1st year anniversary of the completion of Pulau Purba has already passed, and so did the 1st year anniversary of my graduation from the university that improved my writing ability.

It's time I make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment