About Me

My photo
Brian J. W. Lee is a writer. When he's not writing, he's plotting to plunge the world in a deep chasm of terror, darkness and screams. Sorry, did I get carried away?

Monday 15 August 2016

Writing Report #1: Exhaustion

This post is dedicated to Isaac Cheong, a friend of many years, a fellow writer, a fellow man who wants to contribute to Singapore's fledgling culture. No, he's not dead yet. What makes you think he is? :-) (And no, I'm not going to kill him.)

This writing report is for last Sunday and this Monday, from 14/08/2016 to 15/08/2016 (DD/MM/YYYY)

Ever since starting up this blog, I made some extra efforts into going back to writing, like tackling it head on rather than doing it only whenever I felt like it. Discipline is what separates people who're simply scribbling for fun and those who call themselves writers.

I am still not at 100% yet, however.

On Sunday, I was only able to come up with something like 350 to 500 words. The only consolation is that it was from polishing and improving a short story I have.

Yesterday (Monday), I went on with my work on a new short story, a Dystopian sci-fi set in 22nd century Singapore. 750 words. The funny thing was that I did it in office, when I had nothing left to do. Actually, this post is currently being written in office too. But anyway, it would have been more than 1,000 words had I not fallen prey to the worse nemesis any writer must face...

Exhaustion.

Yep, I planned to continue writing at home, so I climbed in bed with my writing laptop while the drying machine was chugging with my clothes inside. I switched it on, tried to boot up Steam and Nimble Writer (my choice word processor). I couldn't get the latter to work for some reason and put my head to the pillow in frustration. It was 11:30pm

Next thing I knew, it was 2:30am in the morning (or midnight). Holy hell, whatta time travel!

So I guess the moral of the story is to lie down on a bed of iron spikes if you want to write while you're on your back. Oh no, wait - That wouldn't work either. You'd probably pass out due to blood loss.

From now on, I'm going to consider doing it while upright on an armchair, and not so late.

Discipline. It is what separates scribblers from writers.

1,000 words today, a promise to myself

No comments:

Post a Comment