About Me

My photo
Brian J. W. Lee is a writer. When he's not writing, he's plotting to plunge the world in a deep chasm of terror, darkness and screams. Sorry, did I get carried away?

Friday 6 January 2017

Writing Report S2 #30 (Special Batam Report): A Weekday in Batam

This Writing Report is for the dates from 1st January 2017 to 6th January 2017 (Sunday to Friday).

Ever since landing on the island of Batam, my writing speed has been kicked into high gear. I have been able to put out 2,000 words a day, somethings with an additional 100 or more, no problem. I've only ever strayed on a single day, probably Wednesday, by being short 500 words, but that's made up for on Thursday.

In other words, in 6 days, I've put out slightly more than 12,000 words - This is the standard as prescribed by Stephen King. Now, the only thing is to maintain this, and bring this standard back home. Not sure if it'd be possible if I resume working, but I can try. Video games have become less and less my standard form of entertainment anyway, not so much disappearing but giving even more room to reading and writing.

Back then, it used to be that I'd spend a few hours on computer games, about an hour or two on reading and another two hours on writing. For now in Batam, assuming I'm still writing at the speed of 500 words an hour, that's four hours of writing, perhaps two hours of reading, maybe a mere hour or two of computer games (mostly mobile games and retro oldies) and perhaps an hour or two of television.

What concerns me is a sense of purposelessness that I feel. By right, I should be full of purpose right now. I guess it's just me breaking away from working life.

Anyway, just yesterday, I've concluded the draft 1 of Faceless Angel, which I've renamed to Faceless for the moment, and I've even produced a working draft of my first horror poetry piece - though I'm not sure if I can call it that. I don't quite adhere to metre, or have a definite rhythmic scheme, but I believe a few revisions might bestow those properties at least sparingly.

For my next project, I might either work on a story about someone getting stuck in his own house due to supernatural reasons, or a story set in my current country of residence, Batam. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment